Please reach me out through autism.india@yahoo.co.in with details of your contact if you are a professional/institution

Join my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/winautism for future updates.

Please click the following link for a comprehensive documentation of my journey with Aakash: Click Here

Here is the link to the playlist of Activities done with Aakash, in YouTube: Click Here

Search

Tantrum-Is it actually communication?

Whenever I read something about Autism, either books or parent’s experience in blogs, groups, the usual word that accompanies it is “Tantrum”,

The people with no knowledge about Autism may look at some of the odd behaviours as Tantrum. Being a mother of a kid with Autism, I have realized that this is not tantrum at all. It is rather a form of “communication”. When I realized this, it started helping me and my kid.

I realized this recently while my son had his hair cut. During hair cut sessions (which we used to do at home), he used to be kicking, screaming and crying. I always thought this was due to sensitivity in his head. But over a period of time we noticed the hairs falling on his body irritated him. On our last hair cut session, we put him a shirt that covered him well and attempted once again. This time to our surprise, he was quiet cooperative. What I could surmise was since he had very limited verbal communication, he was not able to express himself fully. He just used to say, “No, No” when he saw the hair clipper and run away from the place. If we forced him, he used to throw the so called tantrum.

Now I have understood after all it is his way of communication. After realizing this, my tensions have come down significantly. Now whenever he throws a tantrum, I search for a reason and try to give him the right words or make him comfortable by providing what he needs.

Join my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/winautism for future updates.